May 31, 2010

Concrete Jungle


“In New York,Concrete jungle where dreams are made of,Theres nothing you can’t do,Now you’re in New York,These streets will make you feel brand new,The lights will inspire you,Lets here it for New York, New York, New York”


I know this song is so played out but I thought I’d start this post with the lyrics because it’s this city’s anthem now. It’s so true too; there really isn’t anything you can’t do here.

I’ve just recently spent 14 days traveling around Europe and am already planning trips to places outside of NY (ie: Napa Valley) but I’ve come to the realization that I’ve been here in NYC for a year and a half and I’ve never actually taken a weekend to play tourist here. Sure, I’ve seen a lot that NYC has to offer but usually I’m either playing tour guide for friends while they marvel and act like silly tourists or I’ve accidentally ran into many of the tourists sites. It’s safe to say that, like many New Yorkers, we tend to breeze past the cultural phenomena that New York has to offer. Every day I ride the subway from Grand Central home to my Upper East Side apartment but I’ve never actually stood in the center of it and just marveled.

Well, this summer is the perfect time to start. I have no travel plans for the summer, so I’m stuck, whether I like it or not. I have a close friend that is now moving to San Fran at the end of summer, so we’ve made a summer “hit” list that we intend to cover. Here is my list so far, but I’m sure it will grow over the course of the summer:

Top of the Empire State Building
The Cloisters
Statue of Liberty
Museum of the City of New York
Brooklyn Flea Market
NYC Shows (Jersey Boys, Fuerza Bruta, etc)
NYC Ballet
Movie in the park
Today Show in Roc Center
Ellis Island

...and let me not forget all the amazing new restaurants and drink places that are exclusive to NYC.

It’s going to be a good summer.