March 8, 2010

In need of a vacation...


I haven’t been on a real vacation since my trip with Mike to Paris and the Burgundy Wine region. This was my first time in Europe and the first time I truly left the country (not so sure Canada and Bahamas counts that much). It was a really amazing trip. I’m French, so it was even more special for me than Mike (Italian).

Well, it’s his turn to really feel special. We’re now planning and hopefully booking out next big trip to Europe. This is a doosey of a list too: Palermo, Taormina, Rome, Dublin, Llanfairfechan, and then London.

Sicily
We’re going to Sicily first (I think) for 4 days to continue our “wine tour around the world theme”. Mike’s family is from Palermo and his last name is Taormina, so it makes sense for us to go. Only problem for me is that he’s already been! I’d rather our trips be new and fresh to the both of us, but he’s already been to the places we’re about to go. I think this sucks, he thinks it’ll be fine. Ehh, whatever, at least he’ll know where he’s going. He tells me there is a big volcano in Taormina…we’re definitely climbing to the top of this bad boy.

Rome
Lisa, Mike’s sister, is studying in Rome right now and will be finishing up her semester by the time we show up. Mike’s already been here too but I cannot wait to see the Sistine Chapel and Colosseum! I don’t care if he’s already seen them.

Dublin
We through this part of the trip in last second, just because. Mike says I’ll actually like Guinness from Dublin…we’ll see, but I’ll probably still think it tastes like hot dogs (?!). We’re taking a ferry from Dublin over to Wales next.

Llanfairfechan, Wales
You’re probably thinking “wtf?!” because I certainly was at first too. Mike’s friend, Ian, is turning 30 and he’s putting on a pretty fabulous birthday bash. He has rented a castle in Llanfairfechan, Wales for a bunch of his friends. He is renting out places to stay at bed and breakfasts’ around town and isn’t charging a thing for people that have traveled to come to this. Pretty crazy! I’ve been trying to find things to do in Llanfairfechan, but it doesn’t look like much. The party's theme is the Roaring 20s. I’ll definitely need some pretty amazing 20s inspired costumes for this though. Hopefully everyone else dresses up. Check out his website below (yes, he even made a website for this). http://www.iancurry.com/30main.htm

London
Our stop in London will be really quick but will be the end of our 2 week long trip of traveling to random places. Mike studied at LSE for a year, so he’s pretty familiar with London, but I’ve always wanted to see it. Hopefully he was too poor while in school there and wasn’t able to do the touristy things that I want to check out.

Then it’s back home and back to work. Ugh, I’m already dreading this part.