December 1, 2013

My Year as 28


All in all, my year as a 28 year old was a good one that taught me a lot of things.  It may have had its ups and downs, but in the end, it shaped my life in a positive way.

This was the year I’d be the maid of honor for my best friend’s wedding and see her be happier than she’s ever been.  It's hard to explain just how amazing it feels to stand there and watch your best friend walk down the aisle towards the man that she loves. And how it actually feels even better to look over and see him be even more happier.  To approve of this man and to know that he is exactly what she needs...it doesn't get better than that.

The year I’d become an aunt to a beautiful, happy baby girl…Ella. The first in our family! I'm sad I can't be closer to watch her grow up, but I'll do everything I can to be there for important life events and to make sure she knows she's got a pretty cool aunt out there that loves her to death.

The year I’d move to Switzerland and learn just how little you need to actually get by as an expat in a brand new country.  When you cook and eat pasta with just a knife because that's all the silverware you have...or when you open up a wine bottle with that same knife, or at least tried to, just to end up pushing the cork into the bottle because you are desperate to drink that wine.  Being without any of my household belongings for a full 2 months wasn't easy, but you sure do learn new and creative ways of doing things.  

The year I’d have to leave my kitty, Bella, behind with the hopes that she would be happier that way.  And thankfully...she seems to be.  And I think my grandma is happier too now that she has her.  It's really hard to do something like this because it felt like I was abandoning her, but now when I see how she is more playful than ever and most importantly, how much happiness she brings to my grandma... I know I've done the right thing.  

The year I’d learn how to ski, despite hating winter and the cold. Yep. This may seem like a small achievement, but if you understood how very much I hated the cold growing up, you'd understand how big this was for me.  The new ski season has just begun, so this year will be all about improving.  Bring it on!

The year I’d travel to 12 countries and about 25 cities in just 10 short months and have one of these trips be truly life changing.  Most people can only dream of visiting the places I've visited this year.  For that, I am truly thankful for this life.  And I cannot say enough about how my trip to Croatia completely changed my appreciation for living a simple life as long as it's filled with good people and good times.  

The year I’d get my heart broken…again…but then turn around to find someone that I’d drop everything for and fly to Brazil, just to see him for 48 hours.  When you find someone that you just know is right for you, you'd do anything and that's exactly what I did.  This wasn't without difficulty though, of course, because silly me forgot about the visa requirements and almost didn't make my way into the country.  Thank goodness for all those amazing friends I met in Croatia ;) 

The year I’d finally decide to search for my real father.  And then find him, against all odds.  You may ask "Why now at 28?"  That is a very good question that I don't really have a good answer for.  I guess I just felt like it was the right time.  Maybe my curiosity finally got the better of me.  I don't really know. All I can say is that I'm glad I did.  He's a wonderful and welcoming person and the outcome of finding him couldn't have turned out any better.  

So yeah... I'd say it's been a pretty amazing year for me.  I'll miss being 28, but I'm excited about what 29 will bring.  Fingers crossed that it will kick 28's ass!